We are finally Å Energi
01. February 2023
Glitre Energi and Agder Energi have officially merged to become Å Energi. Together, we will work for a future based on renewable energy. We aim to generate even more renewable energy, distribute it efficiently around the grid, and make use of it in new and exciting electricity market services, as well as to develop our business in Norway and the Nordic region.
- Finally we are Å Energi! This merger has been a long time in the making, and we are looking forward to the road ahead. Together we will create a forward-looking renewable energy group that will play an important role in the green energy transition. Looking ahead, our main task will be to help society increasingly wean itself off fossil fuels and enable all areas of society to be powered by clean, renewable energy”, says Steffen Syvertsen, the CEO of the Å Energy Group.
- Å Energi will support the development of new industries and jobs in Buskerud and Agder, as well as playing an important role in the Norwegian and Nordic electric power system”, he says.
About the name Å
The name Å Energi is simple, straightforward and forward-looking. The name is a reference to both our origins in hydropower (“å” means “river” in Norwegian) and to the letter “å”, which is a distinctive element of the Norwegian language. “Å” is the Norwegian infinitive marker (like “to” in English). It precedes all action – which is what is needed if we are to achieve our goal of a world powered by clean energy. In Norway, there is a saying that “Many small streams make a mighty Å (river)”. Similarly, we must work together to solve our energy-related challenges. Å Energi is a simple and uniquely Norwegian name, which can help us to stand out everywhere in the world. It says something about where we come from, and where we are going.
The name was the result of an extensive process with heavy involvement from employees at both groups. Between them, staff at the two companies proposed almost 1,100 names.
"We are incredibly proud of the engagement shown by our employees and grateful for the hard work put into coming up with the name Å Energi. It is especially pleasing that one of our own members of staff suggested the name that we will develop and use to forge our new future together”, says Steffen Syvertsen.
Our most important social mission is to increase the production of clean, affordable renewable energy, to ensure that the electricity is distributed efficiently around our network, and to develop new and better energy-related services in Norway and the Nordic region – for our customers in rural and urban areas, industry and commerce, premises and homes. That is the only long-term, sustainable response to the energy crisis and the threat of climate change. We want to help develop new industries and jobs in Buskerud and Agder. We will play an important role in the Norwegian and Nordic electric power system, and we will continue to grow by developing our own business.
This is Å Energi
- Å Energi is Norway’s biggest energy utility, with operations throughout the value chain, from generation through to end users.
- The cornerstone of the business is hydroelectric power, with around 11.3 TWh generated each year at 72 wholly-owned and part-owned power stations.
- We are Norway’s second biggest grid operator, with a 30,000-kilometre electricity network that supplies power to approximately 310,000 customers in Buskerud and Agder.
- The company will manage and trade over 30 TWh of electricity in the Nordic region, be Norway’s leading supplier to the business market and have over 200,000 domestic electricity customers.